Extra Extra Extra!!!

Friday, January 7, 2011

Toy review: S.I.C Kiva

I bought SIC Kiva several months ago when I started to collect Kamen Rider figures in the light that I need to collect all characters needless of make, manufacturer or toy line series. Thankfully, Mikel'z carefully explained to me what SICs where are how are they made. I saw his own collection of SIC displayed perfectly on the glass shelf. This is how I was convinced that I need to own one.

Super Imaginative Chogokin (S.I.C) are perceived not to be loved by many. First for its price. The price for its first release is slightly higher than SH Figuarts especially Kamen Riders living in the Hsieh era. Second - deformity. Most Kamen Rider toy collectors would rather have a figure that is almost a perfect scaled-down version of the character in the KR series. My own definition of SIC is an artists rendition of the what the character would be in an alternate world. Like JLA meets the Justice Lords, or Superman meets Bizzarro. Or probably, what would Tendou Souji would be like if he steps into the Worm universe. Or, what if all Kamen Riders slug it out in Mortal Kombat's realm (i have no other examples that are synonymous to my idea). My point is - I like art.

I don't like Souhacku Henshin-like figures, HDMs RAHs and since Bandai hasn't release their version of Kiva, I got stuck with SICs.

At face value, you'll appreciate the artwork that has been meticulously placed in this figure. Kiva is not as deformed as other Kamen Riders (a horrible example is Diend and Kuuga -SIC). This toy is actually enhanced - shoulder pads, bracelets, anklets are replaced by shinny chromed die-cast metal. Bandai even placed a couple of scratches at the ends to make it look battle-scared. Shoulder pads had necklace-like chains to have that consistency with the series' motif. That continues on the right side of the shins which by unhooking the chain, reveals the stunning detail of the leg. Without the metal plates, the leg has three jewels embedded that is beautifully crafted. Metal plates can be replaced by bat-like wings to produce the same thing as seen on the show.

Accesories:
a pair of bat wings for legs
3 kivat (silver, open winged and closed winged)
6 detachable fusles
1 violin set
1 extra peg to use on open-winged kivat   


The head has a pair of yellow eyes which extends passed ear sections, inside the compound eyes seemed like a soft silver-like material similar to space blankets. The head though seems titled back which is somewhat awkward looking when trying to scale it with the whole figure. The rest of the body has blue lines which is nice to avoid the limbs and joints of the figure looking bland.


Likes: Sculpt, form, accessories, belt, color, box design
Dislikes: Small pegs, tapes, wires that hold the toy in the box, small fuesels

SIC may not be appreciated by all, but for me this is the best looking Kiva figure I've seen so far.











0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...