Extra Extra Extra!!!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Toy Review: War for Cybertron Deluxe Cybertronian Megatron


In the epic War for Cybertron, now we know (or so it is implied) that Megatron was once a futuristic tank before he took a form of a pistol. A tank is far more convincing harbinger of destruction than a Walter P3 in my opinion. There are two versions in this vehicle mode - hovercraft and a tank. The hovercraft is just folding the tank treads at the bottom. I'd prefer with the treads on its sides.

Picking this up is a no brainer. I had the Takara Tomy version of Cybertronian Optimus Prime and what a way to make my shelf look better is to have these two side by side in their own little space. Robot mode was what I expected (similar to Optimus), futuristic body type with hints of G1 nostalgia. 

When I mentioned nostalgia, I meant the head looks like its G1 predecessor, the infamous side cannon latched on the right arm and feet design minus that shining shimmering splendid of that of the Walter P38. To add, I would say  Hasbro did a fine job on the paint scheme - I should be biased as the Takara Tomy version looks better. I only saw photos of the WFC game and this Hasbro masterpiece is really akin to the game design. 

Although the look and feel is almost great, I was gripping a bit on some points and yes there were complications. 
The shoulders when lifted to transform Megatron to vehicle mode and back were scratching on the torso loosing some plastic treads. What bothered me most is that the edges where too tight hindering it to lock in place. Megatron's head can move from side to side, up and down but it was unnoticeable especially when I was taking photos for this review. The hands are not on a joint which lessens the brusqueness of Megatron, moreover these could have done better with paint.  Lastly, the cannon just like most of the Megatron figures, are always in the way of trying to maximize the potential of the joints.

Oh I forgot to mention, that he has this spring loaded shooting mechanism on the arm that shoots purple missiles. The button is not obvious which ups the ante. Maybe Hasbro's rendition of Megatron is the simplier version of Takara's but I still love transforming this guy from tank to robot.  At least I am having more fun in Hasbro because it is light on the budget and you won't irk if the parts go rub harshly into each other. But both Hasbro and Takara's Megatron have the best looking articulation points to date.






















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...