Extra Extra Extra!!!

Friday, January 27, 2012

Toy Review: S.I.C. Kamen Rider Decade

Just a passing through Kamen Rider - Remember that! Decade was very influential to me back in 2009. A year of personal turmoil and somewhat lost at bay. Lost a job, undecided on my future in the height of the financial crisis. It was every Sunday and/or Monday I found myself in trance and escaped for 1 hour from the crisis I was having. It was Decade's journey I learned whatever happens, I must carry on.

There was a review request via my Youtube Channel from RiderOrigin to do a SIC Kamen Rider Decade. Reluctant at first because I wanted to complete all SIC Showa Riders in my review channel before I head to Hsieh. But since I was on a pensive mood the other day,  I obliged. Welcome to the review.

Decade's box art took off from his chest piece design. In front, is his signature X mark symbolizing his stature as the 10th Hsieh rider. Just on the left hand side is a bar code similar to gambaride cards. Facing the top is a huge DCD on top while the side panels had his emblem mounted. Some say the colour scheme is entirely pink but a lot would argue it's magenta.

The passing through kamen rider is heavily detailed as expected. In his usual form, the shoulder pads and the side panels on the legs are in translucent plastic and if you take a look closely, there are additional details. When removed, it reveals a industrial/mechanical engine block theme to it. His chest piece is well sculpted but in my opinion a safe mold. It means it holds the same SIC feel but it is more geared towards as close as the character in the series. His Decadriver has this gimmick similar to its DX version, and you can insert the cards as well. The mold of this belt looks plain but when pulled, more SIC details reveal.

What turned me off a few years ago was his head sculpt, it is uneven (well it should be) but it is too long for my taste. Next is the neck joint that poses a problem as it is hindered at the back, making him looked hunched. Unless you carve a slit at the collar, moving the neck towards the back to correct his posture is troublesome. Speaking of collars, there is a nice carved DCD name on it.

de-de-de-Decade includes Gambaride cards. Inside the box there is a sticker panel and plates which you can use to put on the stickers. The sticker panel is complete with 10 riders including Decade, 1 Final Form Decade for his head and 10 more Kiva Emperor Cards. I don't understand the logic of having 10 Kiva Emperors, I wished Bandai created the Final Form Ride cards instead. There is also a tool made from the same black panel for the stickers to help remove the cards from the Decadriver and K-Touch.

A Ride Booker is also part of the set that can turn from gun to sword mode by attaching the blade. True to its form, the Ride Booker opens up so you can insert the card, unfortunately you can only store 1. Quick way of removing the card is by turning the Booker upside down.Just for kicks, Bandai even pulled Kivala in.

The destroyer of worlds wouldn't be complete without his Final Forms parts. The panels and lower limbs are replaced from clear pink plastics to really heavy die-cast parts. For his upper torso, the chest piece and head are replaced with final form parts. Unlike Double, Decade is quite easy to switch from one form to another. My issue was still having gaps between creases on the chest. Though, you push it further to close, knowing SICs back then, I was quite hesitant to do this.

In Final Form Ride, Decade is a decent work of art but the chest area seems too large and overwhelms the arms. To add poseability, there are 6 exchangeable hands to choose from.

It seems that SIC Decade is both the rise and fall of both "showa" SICs from today's SIC offerings. He still continues to have that SIC feel but more lenient towards replicating the actual costume. In fact, before W came into the foray, Decade is one of the best looking SICs, aside from Hibki. The reason I shy-ed away from Decade and collecting SICs back then was always the head sculpt and how sturdy SICs were before. But the man who went to other worlds to find who really is, was an influential figure with a mix of both past and present Chogokins.

 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 

 

 
 
 

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...