Extra Extra Extra!!!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Now on Spotlight - A toy enthusiast with an eye for photography

Kamen Rider Ichigo in Cyclone
Photography - I took a semester on it and didn't seem quite get the concept. Foreground, background, aperture, lens size, all that jazz - I just couldn't mix it all together and apply it in real life. Somehow, I passed the class with flying colors (a trade secret) a thing that I'm not ashamed of, it was fun anyway.

Though I lack the capability to hit the perfect snapshot of my subject, I do have the eye to spot a good photo. I wish I could do the same someday, with a little bit of tutoring, patience and practice I can mark myself as, at least a decent photographer.

SIC Ichigo
Ever since the advent of affordable SLRs/DSLRs (digital/single-lens reflex) it seems like everybody wants to be a photographer (or trying hard to be one). Every event I attended lately, there is a huge percentage of people using professional digital cameras than an easy-to-use point and shoot. Just like expensive mobile phones, having your own bulky camera is the new status quo. It is now a chick magnet for men to compensate the lack of moolah or to get their nice set of wheels.

With the brouhaha on digital cameras, only a few amateurs stand out and seamlessly integrate the love for photography and like me, a passion in collecting figures.

Jon San Pedro
I met Jon San Pedro in a theater organization back in the only Pontifical University in Asia (University of Santo Tomas, what "Pontifical" means, Google it). A usually meek person, not fitting for a guy of his size. Thanks to the social network and my curiosity of what everyone in my network is doing lately, i had the chance to get a glimpse of what Jon is now busy with. What caught my attention is the outstanding photo works he did with his action figures. Again, a dream I wish that would come into fruition one day. For me, Jon is rare breed of photographers who  share the same passion in collecting artistically sculpted figures and mechas but with an aptitude in photography.

Iron Man back to back
I sent a message to him the other day if I could feature his works in my humble blog. Like a good ol' friend he always was 12 years ago, he obliged to my request with a simple Q&A. Before I continue on, thank you Jon for marking my first interview. Now my site is becoming what I intended it to be - about people, places and events related to Tokumania.


FS: When did you had an interest in photography, what camera are you using?

JSP: I have always loved taking pictures since I was teenager but only took it seriously when I got my DSLR almost 2 years ago. Currently I’m using a Nikon D3000 with an 18-55 mm Kit lens and a 35 mm prime lens.

FS: What are your challenges in being an amateur photographer?

JSP: Equipment is always a challenge, but I would like to think of it as an opportunity to maximize one’s creativity. With the number of people getting into photography nowadays, it’s really challenging on how to set your self apart from the rest of the pack. You really need to work hard to get that distinct look and feel, your own visual signature as I would like to call it.

FS: When and how did your hobby in collecting masked rider toys start?

JSP: First and foremost, I have always been a mask rider fan. It started with Black (Kamen Rider Black) and I kinda backtracked to the first Kamen Rider (Ichigo) then Zo, this is way back in grade school. I rediscovered the franchise in my 20s when I bought the dvd for Agito, and that’s when I started buying SICs. (Super Imaginative Chogokin) Though due to unforeseen circumstances, I have already sold some of them.

FS: What is your greatest toy possession?

JSP: Though it’s not masked rider, I would say my 3 SOC Black Super Robots (Mazinger, Great Mazinger and Grandizer)

FS: What is your advice for like-minded people taking the same hobby as yours?

JSP: As early as possible, stick to one or 2 collections, if its Kamen Riders, then don’t spend on anything else…I know its really hard to do, take it from me, I’m still having a hard time following my own advise (LOL).

FS: If you were a masked rider, what would be your famous lines be?
JSP: The time has come for you to be undone…Henshin!

I believe that someday his passion will go miles. Good luck to you and more power.
Well done sir. Sugoi!

More Jon San Pedro amazing photos, subarashi!!
Iron Man

Halo Reach Boys

Ichigo in Black and White

Iron Man


You may catch his works at http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/jonsanpedrophotography
*All photos posted on this blog are with the permission of the owner



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...