Extra Extra Extra!!!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Toy Review: Revoltech Yamaguchi Kenshin Himura

After revealing itself at Kaiyodo’s Wonder Festival in Japan, lo and behold Revoltech Yamaguchi Kenshin Himura. This is in line with the series' 15th anniversary. I can't believe I am now that old. Before I was Firestarter, I remember naming myself Kenshin Himura in numerous online forums. Kenshin struck a bone and I can somewhat relate to his story - once man of hatred now looking for redemption, less the sword and errm..well moving on.

I actually bought two Kenshin Himura (present) and Himura Battousai (from Meiji era). The classic OVA series and his older self in the anime series. Reason is that I fell in love with both manga and anime series, these figures would bring back memories and learnings I had growing up. I am getting emotional am I? Lets see how Yamaguchi's latest creation has provided us...you are in for a treat.Let's start with the post-Meiji era Kenshin.

Revoltech Kenshin Himura includes 6 replaceable hands which astounds me alot. Akin to its roots as a samurai, the figure's hands are open hands, sheath-grasping and two sword holding hands. The sheath-grasping and holding hands have different dimensions for the swords. I honestly don't understand the reason for having two swords with different sizes. Kaiyodo could have slightly cut down costs if they just reproduced a sword and a sheath. But who am I to impose this?

Two reverse edge swords are for the action-oriented and sword-drawing poses. In addition there are two extra sheaths- one with the handle and one without. Unfortunately, the sheath without the handle can only fit the bigger sized reverse edge sword. The sword snugs well inside. Another belt is part of the ensemble just to accommodate the huge sabatto or sword.

What draws me more to the figure is the effects part mainly for his foot as he slides towards or away from his target while performing the Hiten Mitsurugi. Another feature are two extra faces that glares either left or right. This Revoltech figure isn't complete without the orange casing (you can throw this away if you want) and a familiar Revoltech stand for that memorable air fighting action.

Even without the stand, Kenshin really stands well on its own and brings more excitement when the effects part it fitted in. His head sculpt is all but amazing especially when you fit in the face with glaring eyes. Kenshin's pony tail is fixed and its arc resembles Haomaru in Samurai Showdown series.

The only thing that would confuse you at first are the torn gi found at the arms and in some occasions hinder in the poseabilities. But with a bit of effort, this helps especially if you want to replicate those dramatic moves in its manga images. I forgot to mention this on my video review but there are hidden panels on the lower part of his legs for reproducing the sitting position. It is almost perfect, a hiccup I see is that he is hunched. Nuff said.

I would place my stamp of approval on this figure. If you are starting to buy Revoltechs, this is the best entry you can find in the market today.




 

  
 
 


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...