Extra Extra Extra!!!

Monday, March 26, 2012

Toy Review: S.I.C. Kamen Rider Yuuki


Why do villains look so cool? Most actors nowadays seek devious roles than the titular characters either on TV or film. Because of 1 - their outfit is much better. 2 - sometimes just standing there makes you look awesome. 3 - without a villain, there are no main character conflicts. 4 - being a villain, contrary to number 2, is a more challenging role. Take case in point the late Heath Ledger, best performance in a Joker role ever. That being said, in the toku space, same goes with Kamen Rider Den-o's movie rider, Kamen Rider Yuuki.

As a Tamashii Web exclusive for the S.I.C. line, Yuuki's box is simple and unique. It is wrapped in a black glossy finish with Hijack form in front and Skull form at the back, these images are in the middle of the white, racing stripe face.


Expected it to be, the case that holds the figure and its parts comes in two layers, first layer showcases the armor for Skull form. Skull form accessories include the silver scarf, two extra hands for his right arm and an extra arm for the left torso. Instead of just having the skull accent on top of the helmet replaced, the entire ensemble is replaced with a new head coupled with two shoulder pads with the same theme. The next layer are all the weapons Yuuki uses, the Dengasher pieces, a Ghost Imagin sword, the whip and four tops. Its instruction manual doesn't say much why you need 4 tops. But I figured that one pair should peg in on Yuuki's left arm. These weapons, since they are S.I.C.s, are exaggerate replicas with more detail and molds carved making more crevasses to suit the line and excite fans alike. Another reason to love this is that the weapons are not form-specific.

I like what Bandai did on Hijack form's left arm. Because this is S.I.C., its creator took a step further  with what this should be in a deformed world. Rather than having a crane shovel for the left arm, this is replaced by three-fingered claw and still having his human hand inside. I wished that these claws could be adjusted so that the hand can be seen more in different angles or even interchanged with other hands for a more dramatic pose. I also realized that Yuuki is better of without the scarf because this hides a lot of details on the chest plate. More so makes the figure look like a cross cyber humanoid. Most of the time I'd had Yuuki like this than completing his Hijack form.

To add, Yuuki has torn and holed molds at the bottom of his cloak, more to connect through the ghost imagin. The separate Dengasher pieces are somewhat unpleasant to put on Yuuki's slings, these are loose and falls of Yuuki quite easily. So I less use these in most of the photographs I've taken.

Transforming Yuuki from Hijack to Skull form is simple but not as easy as you've thought it would be. Since the paint apps makes the plastic thicker, it is difficult to take the chest piece and the scarf out to insert Skull form's new shoulders. 

Articulation is like any other classic SIC. The similarities between the SHF are the legs because these are hindered by the extended costume at the back. But at least the S.I.C.'s soft flexible plastic allows more leg room for Yuuki. I don't see a lot of diecast parts which makes me wonder if Bandai is cutting a lot of these and might be a trend in future releases. I can only see these metal chromed plates on the ankles and wrists. 

I can imagine how many SIC collectors have satisfied their deformed salivation over Yuuki. I do recommend this to SIC and Den- O fans. Even with a exclusive price point, I can't seem to raise an argument why you should miss this. I'm still a newbie in collecting S.I.C.s but I am enjoying having Yuuki as an addition to my growing keep. 


















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...