Extra Extra Extra!!!

Monday, April 30, 2012

Toy Review: Play Arts Kai Solid Snake (25th Anniversary Edition)

In its 25th Anniversary of the Metal Gear series, Square Enix's Play Art's Kai released their latest war-torn hero, Solid Snake. It has been awhile since I played Metal Gear, the only game I never finished/completed was the first game release - yes back when Nintendo consoles were kings of the home gaming entertainment. A 2D Legend of Zelda type that kept me running to never ending rooms and frustrating bosses. There are no cheat codes that I could remember, I wished it had that up up down down contra style codes that I could have used to at least finish the bloody game. In 1998, Sony's Playstation consoles are already at the center stage and at last, Sons of Liberty was my first MG I have completed and even enjoyed watching the narrative. With a measly budget I have, Play Arts Solid Snake is sensible to grab. I couldn't afford Hot Toys anyway.

Solid Snake's box art looks like the 1998 Playstation game case. In front, there is a 25th Anniversary commemorative logo from Metal Gear's inception till 2012. The red Metal Gear logo stands out from the slightly off white background. It has a lot of splash marks around it and at the back, we are presented with a film strip theme with the figure in different positions.

The figure is in every essence like the game character. Its height is somewhat in between your humanoid S.H. Figuarts and near the size of a Hot Toys figure. In my guess, this is about 8-9 inches in height. According to my research, creators of the Metal Gear games oversaw the whole production, from the very detailed sculpting to the airbrushed paint applications. To top it all, the molds on the pouches seen around the waistline is done in high quality and you can even see the texture of the weaves.

The joints are hard to manipulate at first so it needs time to ease up. Most stressful part are bending the ratchet/clicky elbows and knee joints. I repeat, do not force in bending these, or else you'll have a costly broken Solid Snake on your hands. With enough patience, there are also swivel points on the biceps and on the hips. Some of the already loose joints are on the abs and waist. These are not a nuisances really. Snake is dynamically poseable - from kicking to kneeling stances. Oh I forgot to mention that even his collar has a joint, so that you'll be able to pivot his head especially on a shooting pose - letting him actually see through the cross hairs.  
 
Accessories, as expected from Play Arts Kai, are minimal. The set came with a SOCOM pistol that can slid on a holster near his thighs. My SOCOM has a detachable silencer, since it is in a soft plastic mold, this can easily be warped but also easily adjusted. Next is a FAMAS rifle, the mold is fair and you can sling around Solid Snake when not in use. But be aware that the sling is on a flimsy glued end, nothing a poster glue can fix it. There are also two extra hands to replace the default fists but only the right hand is the holding hand.

The 25th anniversary edition of Solid Snake is a solid figure, with a bit of a nuisance on the ankle. A stand is highly recommendable should you want this on display. I've been told that with a $75 price tag, a stand should have been included in the mix. I agree. I guess it is because of the 25th Anniv logo that gave away its price tag. I do like the overall look for Solid Snake. It should be if this was co-supervised by the guys at Konami. A mice told me that there are bootleg versions of Solid Snake because this is a popular release. So I suggest to get in touch with legit stores if you want one.


 

 

 

 

 


 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...