Extra Extra Extra!!!

Friday, January 28, 2011

Toy Review: SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Eternal

 
 So I got myself some pressure after I posted a video of this review on youtube and various websites. I saw a lot of people from every corner of the world looking into this site. Without further ado here is my written review of the SHFiguarts Kamen Rider Eternal.

I've been waiting and saving for this moment to get the first taste of the figure. There was so much anticipation especially when Kamen Rider W A to Z Gaia Memories of Fate came out on Youtube and from other subbing sites. Everyone thinks this would be epic, but I was skeptical. In my opinion at first and after analyzing the character - I thought there is no way a costume as plain as Eternal would turn as good as other figures like D.Kiva, Emperor form or Ixa. Honestly, Eternal's armor was white, the other color was blue in a form of a flame creeping from the hands to his elbow - that was it. Netizens were chatting that the SHF scale would be the best  Bandai toy for January 2011. With all of the hype - I need to see to believe it.

Thanks to some people, they gave me a tip that Eternal has landed in the Lion City and pointed me to the right direction. There I was, in front of the nesting place of the Tokusatsu-related toys shop called the Falcon's Hangar (very original ain't it?). I inquired and handed me what everyone was craving for this month. Gave me a good price and went my way.

The box was very much like the SHF boxes we've seen the  past few weeks - a themed box that is similar to the figure, white background highlighted with blue lettering. It shook my nuts a little when I turn to its back side, three profile photos of Eternal. Shoot, I had a similar experience with another SHF exclusive, what dawned to me was Kuuga Amazing Mighty. Why?  Kuuga AM was disappointing, less photos mean less goodies (check my review on Kuuga AM to know what I am talking about). I predicted that the box would be thicker like Dark Kiva - it was a sign of relief. This means there are good things inside. So I went back to being a kid opening a present on Christmas day.

Eternal has 7 interchangeable hands wrapped in metallic blue paint. I like blue so this was a plus. Not much sculpting on it because SHF Eternal's extremities anyway are fashioned from the Cyclone Joker figure. Inclusive is the knife which should hold the Eternal memory - unfortunately there is none. The knife is well detailed but lacks the paint it needs to replicate the one seen in the movie.  Lastly the cape. The cape is a rubbery-plastic type that has a flowing feel to it and not flat. The rubbery feel ends at the shoulder where the plastic is harder. Underneath the cape are thoughtfully-made separators, which slightly divides the cape from Eternal's body. With this, there is less tension between the cape and figure and minimizes the possibility that the cape would melt on the figure. Especially if you live on a tropical country, when during summer, you can boil an egg under the sun.

SH Figuarts Eternal does have good points. One is the 26 maximum drive holders that are held by the straps. But I hoped Bandai colored each holders with the respective T2 Gaia Memories. Nevertheless, these black straps compensate the plain white canvass. Second, I like hinges on the ankles, it helps the figure to be planted and have a stable position while on different stances. Lastly when accessories play together, Eternal is in its best. Without one or the other, this would be another Kuuga AM in the making.

What I don't like are the blue flames, anklets and bracelets. It brings me back to the day when I was in kindergarten, there were parts that are not painted properly. It is either the missed paint on the flames or over painting it. For someone who is very particular about this may find it very disappointing.

For me, if you can look way pass on the small nitty gritty things and see the whole picture - Eternal is a keeper. Double fans would also see it that way. He may not be the best SHF for 2011 but he is a must to collect. Eternal, by the end of the day , I would say is not for everyone. If you are completist, I suggest to start the hunt. Eternal might not be here Forever.

The rest of my review in a form of a video. Enjoy.









Thanks to johninu87 for the additional photos for both this site and for my video.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...