Extra Extra Extra!!!

Monday, February 21, 2011

Gokaiger EP 1-2 Impressions

 Episode 1

I do feel a bit of nostalgia watching 34 past Super Sentai teams in true synergy on the advent of the 35th Super Sentai series - Gokaigers. I started watching Super Sentai series starting with Bioman and  we role play after the show, usually in my group of friends, I'm always Red One (ahem). Through the years, I was immersed to more super sentai teams and my fave so far was Maskman because of the drama involving Red Mask and Rio. I didn't even realize that it has been 35 years since. I'm almost as old as the series.

Anyways, Gokaiger's opening was epic, as all 1st episodes do. We were introduced to the characters namely Ahim (GokaiPink) the princess, Luka (GokaiYellow) the hot headed (but beautiful tomboy), Joe (GokaiBlue) the smooth, second-in-command, small talker, Doc/Don (GokaiGreen) the childish yet smart pirate and Captain Marvelous (GokaiRed) enough said.

Episode one was typical but enough sustenance on how the Legendary War came about and where are the other Super Sentai teams. The episode stirred the balance between the nature of a pirate and a hero. But in this, our heroes don't consider themselves as one and try to stay to the true nature of their colorful pack - pirates.

Agility, diversity and skill were presented, as the individuals have their own battle style. For example, each Gokaiger members have 1 gun and 1 sword but their preferences are different. Red is more versatile and comfortable using both gun and sword. Green and Pink are more skilled in having two guns while Blue and Yellow are Musashi sword wielders (Mushashi is a Japanese legend known to have skill in using two swords instead one 1).


The most important element of their abilities rest at the near end of the show - the Gokaiger Keys and presentation of their transformation (GokaiChange) to the past super sentai teams. If one has forgotten who they (past sentai) were, this is the opportunity to see them once again. Their first Gokaichange was just fitting - the first super sentai team, Goranger. Then, Samurai heroes Shinkenger  (one of my faves) and then the magical Mahou Sentai, Magirangers. For me, this was a great mix of what I call Hsieh and Showa Super Sentai (there is no clear category and I took these from Kamen Rider). Overall, nostalgia is the only word I could think about when describing this episode, and it feels good.

Episode 2

In this episode, this is were I took notice on their battle poses. Some of them are typical, but one annoys me a lot. When they do their roll call I couldn't put my finger on GokaiGreen. Can he do a better roll call than rubbing his legs and opening his hand at the end of the roll call? C'mon man, do some justice to past Green Rangers. This is just embarrassing. Check the video below to know what I am talking about:


Another thing I noticed is that their henshin position looks like a cross between TimeRanger, Boukenger and Go-Onger. Let me know what you think. Nevertheless, I like the treatment, three X's goes through them and a V which equates to 35 to signify themselves as the 35th Super Sentai team, you can't be more subtle than this.
 
Episode two opens more to the origin of Gokaigers. During a war in Marvelous' home world, CM meets AkaRed and was saved before being killed. AkaRed (just in case you didn't watch Boukengers) was the commemorative character for the 30th anniversary (oh how time flies). Then in the plight to save the powers of Super Sentai, AkaRed hands down a treasure chest filled with Gokaikeys and handed them down to CM. Call it a twist of fate.

Going back to the present. I didn't see much Showa Sentai transformation, I was slightly disappointed. Not even one past Super Sentai with "Man" at the end (Live"Man", Jet"Man" etc.) I really wish there were to be consistent with the first episode, I hope we could see more in the next episodes soon.

I'm happy that GokaiOh was more agile during fight scenes and probably the most agile in all mechas and surprised how each vehicles fit inside the Galleon haha. On another note, the cockpit is quite unique but true to the pirate theme which leads me to another question, how can they manage to move the mecha buy just turning the wheel? Well at least I'm not as dumbfounded as Shinkengers by just pushing the sword ala excalibur forward and the robot automatically moves anywhere. Its just me. Finally, GokaiOh's big finisher - a huge canon whaaapak!!!

Excited on the next episode - gokaigers meet MagiRed and how his vehicle/red dragon combines with GokaiOh. Probably would tell us more how Super Sentai teams lost their power and what happened to them after. Happy 35th Anniversary.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...